Thursday, November 13, 2014

Twins Are So Easy

This is the title of my latest book on parenting. However, taking care of the twins is really getting in the way of being able to write it. Since at this moment they are currently napping, I will take this opportunity to check in with my Loyal Readers. Because you know what they say, "Blog when the baby sleeps!"

So here I am. See me? No, over here on the couch, under the pile of freshly washed onesies that are patiently waiting to receive their next installment of spit up. (Because you know what they say, "Do laundry when the baby sleeps!") I'm in between the lone baby sock (get used to the single life, kiddo) and the pacifier wedged into the cushions. Oh and also, a pencil. And a random flip-flop.

Since we don't have much time (I can sense babies beginning to move from Not Sad to Sad), I will answer a few FAQs for you.

Q. How are you doing?
A. Tired. Veryveryvery tired. To paraphrase Princess Buttercup, "I shall never sleep again." However, everyone is healthy and happy, or, if you're one of the twins, healthy and occasionally, Not Sad. So we are thankful for that.

Q. Are they identical?
A. Unequivocally not.


Q. Do you have time to shower, even?
A. Putting on deoderant and brushing one's hair IS considered a shower in many cultures. Or it should be. I'm working on that. "Brushing is washing!" is a thing they will say in this culture.

Q. Can I bring you some-?
A. Yes. Whatever it is you want to bring, I'll eat it. Because you know what they say, "Eat when the baby sleeps!"

Q. Were you shocked when you found out it was twins?
A. I'm confused. Why the past tense? "Omigod there are two of them" is something heard frequently around the house, especially in the evening, as we are playing another round of Baby Whack-a-Mole. (Note: No actual whacking involved.)

Q. How are the other kids doing?
A. In short, the big ones are mostly helpful. The 4-year-old, well, let's just say his attachment to Mommy hasn't improved since the arrival of the twins. But really, who can blame him? Does anyone pour cereal, turn on the TV or brush his teeth with quite the panache of Mommy? It's an acquired skill, honed after years of (forced) practice. Also, rest assured that no one has felt any need to put their various issues or angst on hold until Mommy gets more sleep.

Q. Are you nursing?
A. This is possibly the most popular question, after the identical question. To answer, I give you a quote from one of the children: "Mommy, ever since you had the twins, you've been walking around half-dressed." So yes. And yes, I have nursed both at once, but not, ahem, discreetly. So avert your eyes. Currently we're at about 85% nursing and 15% bottles. Of formula. Because "Pump when the baby sleeps!" is NOT a thing they say. Bottles meant I had to hand back my Crunchy Granola Mom Trophy, plus they took away their offer to honor me at the Annual Crunchy Granola Mom Grass-Fed Organic BPA-Free Dinner & Co-Sleeping But that's okay. Because the bottles help me keep my last remaining nerve, which I need in order to deal with aforementioned spit-up and angst.

Q. "Is there another baby in there?"
A. Luckily, this is not an FAQ. This question was posed by Nadav, when they came to visit me in the hospital. First, as he walked in and saw the baby nursing, he exclaimed "EWWWW! What is the baby doing to you?" Then he examined my stomach and decided there must be a third baby Mommy is hiding in here. Now, he has declared that the tummy is no longer so big, but it IS "mushy v'gam floppy."

So you see, Twins: They're So Easy.

Okay, Sadness has been reached. See you all later.

11 comments:

SaraK said...

As a Certified AuntOfTwins (doing it twice makes me Certified) :) I can relate to this 100%. It gets easier, I promise. That's what Shoshy and Yocheved both say, so I guess I can believe them.

A Blog Fan Overseas said...

Glad to here the update :)

I cracked up reading this post.

Batya said...

Just keep your sense of humor.
MAZALTOV!!

Anonymous said...

Lurker here- thanks so much for the update! I love your humor and take on parenting.

Unknown said...

wow taking care of twins is so hard! I don't know how you find time to do anything!!! My boyfriend has a sister who has two sets of boy twins, geeeesh she is a very brave woman.

http://aliyahnewyork.blogspot.com/

Leah Goodman said...

*hugs* Thank you for the update. I will tell you how dinner gets made in our house. It's called Pizza. And it's ordered, not cooked ;)

Special note to the girls: Sleeping at night is awesome. All the cool kids are doing it. The more you sleep at night, the awesomer you are. If you sleep a 10 hour stretch, you get a super-awesome medal from me!

chaimk said...

"mushy v'gam floppy": He must be (most of the time) the cutest kid ever!

Unknown said...

Is it hard to raise twins? some say so?





Digium Switchvox Phones

Ginger said...

Your kids are adorable. I should say its hard to raise twins but rewarding as well.




I found the best Park City UT Real Estate

charles said...

Outstanding blog, in my opinion site owners should acquire a great deal out of this blog its very user welcoming.
collision

mrkdvsn said...

An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.zwangerschapscursus amsterdam