Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pesach! Pesach! Pesach!

Well I, for one, am following the psak of NYFunnyman, who said that it's a machlokes rishonim whether my pot needs libun or not. I am going to go with the rishon who said "It does not" whomever he may be. Thank you, NYFunnyman! And thank you, anonymous Rishon.

Pesach preparations are in full gear, traif kitchen or not. Ariella continues to bring home beautiful art projects from her kaytanah, and Yaakov is learning lots about "Moshe hakatan." So far, we understand that:
1. Moshe was small
2. We eat matzah cereal on Pesach
3. He was in a tayvah
4. We eat matzah cereal on Pesach
5. The tayvah was in the water
6. We eat matzah cereal on Pesach
7. Moshe took the Jewish people out of 'rayim (because Yaakov only knows the answer when prompted by "Mitz...")
8. Also, we eat matzah cereal on Pesach.

So the learning is in full gear, here in the Rose household. Tonight we douse our house in boiling water, and tomorrow the cooking begins! Yay!

Here are some delectable kosherbyaccident recipes for Pesach:

1. Mix together matzah meal, water, eggs, oil, and salt. Let sit. Form into balls. Boil. Tada - matzah balls!

2. Mix together matzah meal, water, eggs, oil, and salt. Let sit. Form into balls. Bake. Tada - Pesach rolls!

3. Mix together matzah meal, water, eggs, oil, salt, and sugar. (See? You gotta pay attention here.) Let sit. Fry. Tada - matzah meal latkes!

So you see, the varieties are endless. Meanwhile, the lack of anything to eat in the house has reached an astonishing new low. I keep buying one box of cereal at a time, because I don't want to have to throw any cereal out before Pesach. (Here, breakfast cereal cost roughly the equivalent of a nice pair of earrings. You can imagine the pain if you had to throw out half a box of gold hoops.) However, my children go through cereal like it's gummy bears. They inherit the ability to eat bowls and bowls of cereal from me, and I in turn have inherited it from my father. So every time I think, "OK, this is REALLY the last box," it's finished two days later and I'm off buying yet another box. Today, we only had enough Multi-Grain Cheerios for one bowl of cereal for each kid. So, I supplemented their breakfast with....an Oreo cookie each. That's right folks, I am feeding my children cookies for breakfast. As a parent, this is a new low. As a kid, they've never been happier. (I did buy one last box - really this time! - of cereal, so rest assured that tomorrow they will not be dining on cereal. Instead, they will be eating Choco-Frosty-Sugar Puffs. Just kidding - I bought Oatmeal Squares.)

4 comments:

nyfunnyman said...

i said it's not so simple. there are many factors a competent posek would factor in- like whether the spatula was a ben yomo (i realize it was onions, but i believe there a group of achronim who wonder if onions lose there "charif" status after they have been frying.

i meant merely to educate, not for psak. i truly think you should ask your posek what to do. as i said also teflon makes a difference, as does the amount of oil. please consult your local orthodox rabbi, and i am not local.

Gila Rose said...

nyfunnyman - please understand that my comments are meant in good-natured jest. We are obviously consulting poskim, both local and otherwise, to figure out exactly what to do with the traif utensils. I appreciate your help in clarifying the situation. By the way - can you reveal your mysterious identity????

Dadz said...

TO ALL YOU LOYAL READERS OUT THERE:
IN THE LEIBTAG HOUSEHOLD,WE REFERRED TO "BOWLS-AND-BOWLS-OF-CEREAL" AS "BABOCK".

GLAD TO SEE THE "EINEKLACH" FOLLOWING IN THEIR ZAYDEE'S FOOTSTEPS.

Leezy K said...

Ummm, Dadz - I believe it's BABOC (sans K) unless of course you're eating "Bowls And Bowls Of Cereal Krispies", which may be the case. However, I believe in your case it's bowls and bowls of corn pops, fruity pebbles and the like.